March Thru the Arch
Swanson Arch stands at the edge of campus, welcoming students as they enter campus life and sending them out into the professional world upon graduation. At the beginning of the fall semester and at just prior to graduation, students join in tradition, ceremoniously walk through the arch.
March thru the Arch - Welcome Freshman, will take place at Noon on Sunday, August 25th at Swanson Arch.
In 2000, former ISU Alumni Director Valorie Watkins created "March Thru the Arch" to welcome incoming students every fall into the ISU family. Additionally, as part of Commencement every year "March Thru the Arch- Sr. Salute" was created to symbolize completion of student's ISU education and re-entry of the graduates into the world, leaving ISU.
Swanson Arch was part of the original Swanson Hall built in 1903 and was the first building at the Academy of Idaho- the predecessor of ISU. It was named after Theodore Swanson who was a member of the original board of trustees. Swanson Hall was originally known as "Old Ad" as it served initially as the Administration Building as well as classrooms for Liberal Arts classes.
Swanson Hall, constructed of stone and brick with no structural steel and a lava rock foundation, was topped with a huge Gothic roof. It was condemned and razed in 1973. However, after a rigorous campaign by another former Alumni Director and ISU Historian, Diane Olson, the entry arch was preserved as a monument. Thousands of students have passed through this arch which preserves a major part of Idaho State University's history.