- INB - Internet Native Banner - full access to all Banner components system wide. Limited staff will have this comprehensive access to prevent errors, misuse, accidental and unwanted system changes.
- SSB - Self Service Banner - access to one's personal information and access to one's "assigned advisee's" academic information.
- "Vanilla" Banner - "out of the box" functionality. No customization of the product for ISU needs will occur at "go live."
- FGAC - Fine Grained Access Capability - the ability to customize the product. ISU purchased Banner without FGAC for initial implementation.
- Curriculum – includes a student's major, degree (BS, BBA, BA, etc.), and college.
- CRN - Course Reference Number - will be used in place of an Index number.
Banner News for Advisors - Week of August 16, 2010
Back-to-School BengalWeb Demonstrations for Faculty
August 24, Tuesday, 12-12:50, Rend 124
August 24, Weds, 12-12:50, Rend 118
We are somewhat concerned that many students might not have seen the many email messages that we have sent out regarding the big changes to Fee Payment and Financial Aid. If you have a way to communicate with your students, will you please remind them that they need to check their ISU email accounts to stay on top of all the changes that are happening?
Finally, since there is NO BALLROOM FEE PAYMENT this year, there will be live help at the Rendezvous Computer Lab on August 19, 20, and 23 from 8 am to 6 pm. The lab is reserved just for registration/fee payment/financial aid/advising issues, and it will be fully staffed with representatives from all four of those offices.
Banner News for Advisors - Week of April 26, 2010
- Cultural change for university and current students:
- Expect and empower students to take increasing responsibility for understanding and meeting institutional requirements.
- Our responsibility is to know the processes and refer.
- Review and refer students to How Do I tab in BengalWeb for help in how to use the new system.
- Understand the new math placement changes (pdf).
- On August 16, 2010, HP1 goes away.
- In March, the Office of the Registrar sent an invitation to chairs to have any AA to attend training and be given permission in Banner.
- The Office of the Registrar will disenroll (after spring/summer grades are posted) those who registered for a fall course and did not pass the prerequisite using a report showing all students without the prerequisite. However, the report will also show those without the prerequisite who were granted an override into a course by a faculty/department. Registrar's Office is investigating how to seperate the two groups to allow those with overrides to remain in the course.
- In HP1, setting course enrollment limit at "0" was used to keep a section closed until it was needed. In Banner, if class limit is set at "0", that section will not be given a room assignment. Instead, to keep a section closed for this purpose in Banner, set the course to require instructor permission and do not give permission until the course is needed. Also, it is possible to just not show the course until it is needed.
- Students now will be able to drop their last class.
- When selecting course attributes in Class Schedule within Banner, at least one subject must be chosen.
- Time conflicts will be allowed (caution students and review schedules carefully).
- Banner does NOT check for regression.
- After selecting classes and hitting the submit or register button, students will see what was added successfully and what was not added. Classes not added will have an error message explaining the problem.
- Review "error message" list - (Deb and Marjanna may develop a handout).
- Students need to add co-requisite (e.g. lecture and labs) at the same time to avoid receiving an error message.
- CRN (5 digit course reference number) replaces the Index Number (6 six digit course number).
- Post Bac in Banner means the same as Special Grad in HP.
- (P) in class schedule means Primary Instructor and is the one who can override (in addition to chairs).
- After override (or permission) is given, student must still register for the course as registration is not automatic with the override.
- Overrides are given to a SECTION, not a course. Overrides can be given to several sections of the same course.
- "C" in class schedule means course is Closed - full.
- "R" = Thursday
- To add self to waitlist:
- Write down CRN of closed class
- Go to Add/Drop
- Register for closed class - will receive an error message
- Click on drop down box to add self to wait list.
- Wait list is ordered by class level (Sen, jun, soph, fresh) - when an opening occurs, an email is sent to first person on list - they have 24 hours to add class.
- Wait list can be 50% of the class limit.
- Not all courses will have a wait list option - department decision.
- Students can put self on wait list for an number of classes and even duplicate sections of the same class.
- Faculty can see the student's wait list position on the faculty's Summary Class list.
- All students transfer in in good standing - no transfer GPA.
- Academic Renewal in Banner will no longer apply to other schools.
- AAC has INB access and is responsible for assigning and changing advisors - a business process will be developed in consultation with departments.
- AAC and RR can remove holds - a business process will be developed.
- Athletics has INB access through an athletics module they purchased and will have full access to student athletes only.
- We are not currently writing case notes in Banner - will need training. Keep writing notes in HP1.
- The email icon in Class Schedule area of Banner will work as expected if on our own computer. If not on own computer, it goes to Outlook and is not ideal option - right click on email icon and past the message to your own email account.
- How do departments override the maximum credits? The authority to change the major and to override credit limits above 18 credits resides with the department but technically it resides in the Office of the Registrar. Send email@example.com an email requesting an override or call or send a fax, and the Office of the Registrar will complete the task.
- Can't be done at this time:
- Change the class schedule view that faculty and advisors have to the student's view.
- Students will not be able to see their wait list number - will have to contact instructor/department to find out.
- The size of the drop down boxes cannot be increased in the Add Class section of Banner.
- Will there be a need for the Add/Drop card?
- What error message appears when the wait list has reached the 50% capacity limit?
- Can Admin's run a transcript?
- What is the purpose of the 3 columns - Faculty - Advisor - Faculty or Advisor?
Banner News for Advisors - Week of March 1, 2010
Banner News for Advisors - Week of February 22, 2010
Banner News for Advisors - Week of January 25, 2010
- Financial Aid LIVE in Banner (pdf)
- Tigeri Upcoming Events (pdf)
- Banner Student Launch Details (pdf)
- Banner Updates:
- April 12 - 16 - New Freshmen Registration (Banner registration open to new freshman)
- April 19 - Banner Registration open to Seniors and Grads
- August 16 - no more HP1
Banner News for Advisors - Week of December 21, 2009
Banner News for Advisors - Week of December 14, 2009
Banner News for Advisors - Week of November 16, 2009
- ACC - Academic Coordinating Council:
- Individual transfer equivalencies and course substitution decisions held in departments must be communicated to RR.
- Articulation Agreements in departments must be sent to Registrar for inclusion in system. Students must be aware of the degree (BA, BS, BBA, etc.) they are pursuing and then the major.
- All students will transfer in in good standing - no transfer gpa. Academic Renewal in Banner will no longer apply to other schools