Program Proposal and Approval - Instructions and Information5-Year Plan
The Program Proposal and review process was created by the State Board of Education (SBOE) and is used to notify the Board and other state institutions of the intention to add new, modify existing, or discontinue degree programs or initiate other changes. Additional instructions and forms are located at http://www.boardofed.idaho.gov/public_col_univ/program_approval.asp.
The Office of Academic Affairs oversees the submission of proposal forms to notify appropriate review committees – Undergraduate Curriculum Council, Research Council, Graduate Council, and Deans' Council – of the proposed changes. Once the proposal has been approved by one or more of these Councils and Administration, it is forwarded to the Board for approval.
In addition to the Program Proposal form, ISU requires completion of a Resource Allocation and Impact Summary, which provides additional information pertaining to funding of the program and the impact of the program on institutional resources (e.g., Library, Information Technology Services, and Facilities Services).
Both the Proposal Form/Budget Form and the Resource Allocation and Impact Summary must be completed with required signatures prior to being submitted to the Office of Academic Affairs by the college dean. The college dean is responsible for securing the necessary signatures from the Library, Information Technology Services, and Facility Services. Once all signatures are obtained, the dean's office will forward both a signed paper copy and an electronic copy (Word/Excel not pdf's) of the documents to the Office of Academic Affairs (Stop 8063). Complete the Program Proposal Routing Sheet and forward the proposal to the Office of Academic Affairs. An ISU Tracking Number will be assigned to the Proposal. Forward the electronic copy of the proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Program Proposal Process
- Guidelines for SBOE Proposals
- Guidelines for SBOE Letters of Notification
- Letter of Notification Request Form
- External Program Proposal Timelines & Processes
- Academic Affairs Roles in Program Proposal Process
To expedite the review process, it is critical all required forms be complete and accurate. Incomplete or inaccurate information may cause substantial delays as the documents will be returned to the originating college for completion and/or clarification. Common oversights and omissions include:
- Inaccurate or missing CIP Code
- Missing signed Resource Allocation and Impact Summary forms from the Library, Information Technology Services, and Facilities Services
- Not using the current Proposal Form (the Board changes the form from time to time, so be sure to use the form available on their website)
- Missing attachments or appendices referenced in the Proposal Form
- Inaccurate or incomplete budget calculations (all budget information required in the Proposal Form and the Resource Allocation and Tracking Summary must be complete).
- If the proposed program is not listed in the current 5-Year Plan, justification for requesting approval of the program must be included in the proposal.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Academic Affairs at 282-2171.